Monday, January 23, 2006

BS day, 2 February 2006

Well, the doctors finally explained exactly what they plan on doing to the ole Cod God on BS (back surgery) day, 2 february 2006.

First, they plan on hacking into my back through my old scar from my first back surgery, a microdiscectomy. The only difference being that instead of a few inches, it will be around 5 or 6 because they need to be able to get at my hip/tail bone area.

Once they get in, they have to cut away all of the scar tissue that has built up (which is the major problem pain-wise for me) around the nerve. After that, they will actually pry my vertebrae apart with a pry-bar and free up the nerve completely. My disc has completely collapsed and pinched the nerve, so they need to free it up and get that height back.

You'd think that they would be done after all of that joy and fun but no, they need to remove my collapsed disc completely and then stuff two carbon-fiber cages into where the disc used to be as well. They actually use a hammer to whack those bad boys into place.

That is all part of a spinal fusion, which most of you have heard of.

After the man with the hammer finishes up (probably some jabrone from Labor Ready), out come the cordless drills!!

Yeehaw!!

They will hold everything together with 4 screws and a couple of brackets. All are made out of titanium, of course. I don't want no stinkin' stainless steel.

Anyways, after all of that is done (4-6 hours later) I get to go up to my room.

They say that I'll be able to walk, at least a few steps, the next day. After my last surgery, I would have to say that that is quite optimistic, but we'll have to wait and see.

They also say that I can go home a few days later if I want to, but there is no rush... whatever that means.

And after only 5-6 months, I should be all better!!

That's all?

- Cod

5 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, Blogger Wheel Gun Bob said...

Is there going to be a neuro surgeon there or just ortho hacks?

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

One of each.

My Neuro just brought in an Ortho who specializes in reconstruction of the spine.

He just finished rebulding a dude who fell out of a third floor window and smashed up his spine something special.

Dr. P (neuro-surgeon) does the first part with Ortho's help, then vice-versa.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Wheel Gun Bob said...

Ya, walk it off!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Erin Nicole said...

just to prove you're not a pussy, you must run the 1/2 marathon with me in april...

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Cod God said...

I don't even like driving that far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine