Friday, November 04, 2005

Aren't sports wonderful?

They offer grown men and women (and A-rod) opportunities when other avenues in life have been shut down. A way out of the gutter, so to speak.

Hell, if you are one of the lucky few that actually get paid to play a child's game for a living, you don't even have to learn how to read.

(Am I the only one that finds it absolutely hilarious that he "outs" his illiteracy in a book? How did he know that they were even writing that? For all he knows, it could have been a shopping list)

This reminds me of the sad tale that is Dexter Manley.

Man, what a player.

What a waste.

- Cod

ps- and that's saying something coming from me and all of my fulfulled potential

2 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I greatly admired Dexter Manley for admitting that he was illiterate and for subsequently becoming literate, as well as his electrifying football talents. I did not admire his subsequent decline into the world of drugs. Most disconcerting is that a person could graduate from college and be illiterate. Where were his highschool teachers and coaches? Where were his college professors and coaches? A whole bunch of people failed him by not failing him. Great football player, though.

-- Uncle Big Johnson

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

I think that Uncle Big Johnson makes an excellent point.

Where were the teachers?

Sooner or later someone should have said something. I've heard of athletes getting some help here and there, but damn... it's sad that someone could get that far in life while being illiterate.

Let's not all reserve our disgust for just the teachers, who let him slide, and the coaches who encouraged it.

Sooner or later you would think that he would have said "enough is enough" and learned to at least read and write at the most basic levels.

I guess it's one of those "I'll get to it later" type of things that tend to happen to us all when time is not of the essence.

I know that I can't go throwing stones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine