Monday, February 07, 2005

Simply Amazing

My beloved New England Patriots just won the Super Bowl for the 3rd time in 4 years.

Wow.

I don't even know what to think.

I almost feel guilty.

Between the Red Sox winning the World Series and these guys it feels like an embarrassment of riches. Now I know what it is like to be a Yankee fan. Well, how they must have felt about 5 years ago.

(Year-two-thou-sand!....clap! clap! clap clap clap!)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

After watching the Patriots be the laughing stock of football for the better part of 30 years, this is truly amazing. I'll tell you one thing, I'm savoring every fucking moment of this. As the Red Sox have shown, it may be a little while until you get back to the big game. If they don't get to the Super Bowl for the next ten years, I'll be happy. I'll still bitch about them constantly (some things never change) but I'll be content.

The scary part about these Patriots is that they will be returning virtually the whole team next year and Mr. Brady won't turn the ripe old age of 28 until August. Hopefully they will get my other man-crush Adam Vinatieri signed quickly. He has become such a money kicker that it's actually noteworthy when he misses in a key situation. I really don't want anyone else to have a chance to make him an offer that he can't refuse. That would blow monkees.


Man, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago that I drove the 2 hours down to Foxboro to watch a 2-14 team lose a 6-0 game in 10 degree temperatures. It ended up being the smallest crowd in the history of the Patriots. I believe the crowd that day was an announced 5,500 people. I think it was closer to 2,500 of us morons sitting there freezing to death. We all cozied up against one another in what essentially was a 70,000 seat (I use that term loosely, they had metal bleachers...seriously) high school stadium to watch "our team" suck all over the place.

Another game that I went to it was actually so quiet that we could hear the phones ringing on the bench as the coordinators from upstairs phoned down to the players. And, you could hear the players talking on them!

Yep, we were one world class organization.

Now we have a new state-of-the-art stadium with a great owner. The best coach of his day and the winningest quarterback in the world. Players are actually wanting to play here and taking discounts to do it.

The New England Patriots have just won back-to-back championships and the Red Sox are World Series champs.

It's like living in Bizarro world.


5 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
-Danny

 
At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that I am opening up for an onslaught of New Hampshire-based insults here, but I thought since I do come here once a day (sad as it may sound) to read the Gospel According To Cod, I should give the actual reasons why I am a Pittsburg Steelers fan...

The first time I ever saw a football game on TV, I was about 5 years old. It was a Super Bowl with the Pittsburg Steelers facing off against the Dallas Cowboys. I remember seeing the Cowboys hitting the field in their shiny blue and silver uniforms as the fans cheered and the announcers called them "America's Team". Then came a chorus of boos as the Pittsburg Steelers hit the field. Dressed in black and looking like they came straight from San Quentin, I was in AWE! It was like 60 Darth Vaders hit the field. With names like Rocky Blier and Mean Joe Green, how could a kid could NOT be enthralled!

I've loved the Steelers ever since. I was spoiled that they were so amazingly good when I started to like them. I learned a very hard lesson as a sports fan when they sucked throughout the 80's. It's hard to be loyal when your team sucks, but I stuck with them. I'm sure this is something all Red Sox and Patriots fans had to deal with for DECADES. In a way, I'm happy that you FINALLY get the chance to celebrate your teams...even if it is at the expense of my beloved Steel Curtain.

Maybe in a few years, the Steelers will be back in the Super Bowl, maybe not. But I will still be a fan chanting desparately for "One For The Thumb!".

On a side note, I remember when I was the fill-in drummer for the Ghoulies and we toured with the Queers, I wore a Kordell Stewart jersey when we hit Pittsburg. I remember B-Face ribbing me about that.

Enjoy your long-overdue hangovers, folks!
-Danny

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

Ouch!

Harsh words from The Cod Gal.

Dan, just think how fun it will be the first time that New England falters (about the year 2012 at this rate) and you can make fun of us.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

-sobs-

It's not true!

-sniffles-

I'll never join you!!!!!!

-Danny

 
At 12:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I have the sudden urge to hump my sister? EWWW!
-Danny

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine