Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day 2 (and a half)

I tried to write last night, but apparently blogspot was doing some maintenance or some shit.

If there are any typos, it's because I didn't proof read it. I don't want to be sitting here any longer than I have to.

--------------

Yesterday began with Pocket Cod and I deciding to hop in the canoe and strike out for distant waters. Actually, we just rowed up the shoreline a bit, but it's the furthest that I have been from land in some time. It's not quite hauling gear out on the hague line in February, but it'll have to do for now.

We did pretty well just trolling along, catching 5 more smallies and half a dozen or so rockbass. It wasn't all that long ago that I didn't even know what a rockbass was. When I was a kid, we'd catch nothing but smallmouth bass, salmon and trout here. Now, the rockbass have infested the lake so bad that they hold a tournament every year to get rid of them. Whoever disposes of the most fish, wins. It is showing signs of working because a few years ago you couldn't even catch a regular bass.

Anyways, after a couple hours of that, we headed back to the house. Of course, the wife was waiting with something to do. The something to do was head out for ice cream and some more food.

Woohoo! We're outta control this year!

After having my overpriced, overmilked shake, we wandered around the harbor for a while. Which, if you have never been here, is quite small. The lake is around 8 miles long (if I remember correctly) and the harbor is tiny. Although, it is big enough to get a couple of ancient tour boats in. You gotta squeeze out every last tourist dollar, you know.

Upon arriving at the house, I mounted a trolling motor onto the canoe to make it easier to help the kids while we're fishing. Yup, that's the reason. It's not because I'm a lazy bastard and I didn't want to row the canoe anymore. Nope, that's not it at all.

Anyways, after a quick dinner Pocket Cod, Tre Cool and I headed out to hopefully catch a few fish before dark.

It wasn't as good as the morning, but we managed to scrape up 17 more fish. This time we added a yellow perch to the total. I haven't caught one of those in about 20 years, so I was a bit surprised. Pocket Cod also lost a big bass, the biggest I've seen thusfar, just before dark. He jumped a few times, but unfortunately threw the hook. That's too bad, I was hoping that he'd catch it. He would have remembered it forever.

When we got back, we hauled a minnow trap that I had set a bit earlier. We didn't have any minnows but we did have a hornpout (scroll down). I remember my grandmother catching those years ago with hotdogs, of al things, as bait. I haven't even heard of anyone catching one of those in a long time, so it was neat to see. The kids also got a kick out of the whiskers.

Well, that's about it. There hasn't been too much going on besides fishing. More people are showing up tonight and tomorrow, so it should be getting a bit more interesting.

- Colin

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger The Cod God said...

Well, first I watch them squirm in obvious agony as they swing from to and fro my razor sharp hook. Then I crudely tear the hook straight out and rips their lips.

Then I laugh.

After they bleed for a while, I kick them around the inside of the boat just to rough 'em up a bit. After that gets old, I tease them by dipping their head(s) in the water...only briefly....just to fuck with their feeble little minds.

Then I trow them into the boat and watch them gasp for air...doing my best Mr Burns imitation as they take that last and final breath.

"excellent."

Not really, we just let them go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine