Monday, March 14, 2005

Random Irritations

HEADLINE: 4 out of 5 fatal accidents in Maine occur on rural roads

Really.

Maybe it's because 4 out of 5 of their roads ARE rural. Who writes this shit and how does it become a headline? I thought that headlines were usually reserved for somewhat-important stuff? I don't know, maybe I expect too much.

-------------------------

So, some poor bastard in NY comes home from work one day and notices a couple of large paint-like cans on the sidewalk in front of his house. He thought that maybe a road crew had left it and would return to pick it up the following morning. When they didn't he did what any responsible person would do. He picked it up so that the local kids couldn't get into it and possibly have something bad happen to them. Realizing that it was some sort of industrial strength paint thinner that you can't purchase in stores, he calls the city to let them know that he has picked it up and it is now in his possession. They send out someone to his home the next day and what do they do? They tell him that he has to pay $500 to have a HAZ-MAT company take it away or pay a $5,000 a day fine. Five thousand dollars!! If he doesn't comply he will have a lien put on his house by the city.

This is a perfect example of how FUCKED UP everything has become. Everyone is so worried about who is liable for this and who is liable for that that all common sense has gone RIGHT OUT THE FUCKING WINDOW!! The guy was doing them a favor by picking it up. He could have dumped it in a sewer or in some empty lot while possibly contaminating someone's well...but he didn't. And now he is getting fucked for doing the right thing. What a world that we live in.

And people wonder why some people snap and go on killing sprees.

----------------------------------

There is a some seafood convention going on in Boston right now. Apparently it is quite the big deal in the industry. They have companies there showing off the latest and greatest from all over the world.

Well, one of those companies was interviewed this morning on TV and they raise organic fish.

Organic.

Fish.

I'll just gloss over the absurdity of that statement and move on to how they described their product. Now, this was what the company representative was saying, verbatim, on how his product is different from fish caught by fishermen.

"Well, it's an organic fish. It is fed food that is made from other fish. It is given no antibiotics. No growth hormones. It is raised in real ocean water."

Really? Wow, that's so unlike REAL FISH!! You know, the ones that are in their element at the bottom of the fucking ocean!! While eating other REAL FISH!! Not taking any growth hormones or antibiotics like REAL FISH DO!!

The best part was when they cooked up some of their fish and some store bought stuff and no one could tell the difference. The only people that picked what tasted better picked the fish caught by fisherman, for you.

Even better is that it will cost 30-35% MORE than fresh fish caught by a local fisherman.

No sense supporting the little man. Buy their inferior product for MORE money and support the corporation.

Yup.

That'll sell them on the product, boys.

ps- for all you religious people out there, Jesus was a gillnetter....just thought that I'd mention it


--------------------------------

That last little post made me think of this...

You know what pisses me off more than anything? People that make some sort of stand based on something that they have read or heard and they take it as fact.

That Organic Fish Rep. said on live TV that Cod is an endangered species. That has to be one of the most ludicrous things that I have ever heard. Check the list for yourself. It's not even threatened. Jesus, I hate that shit! Some tree-hugging-dirt-worshipper will be watching that over their organic coffee with hand-stroked cream and think that it's a fact. Subsequently, they won't eat Cod because "All the commercial fisherman are raping the ocean!!" Then they'll hop into their SUV and drive the 50 miles (one way) at 8 miles per gallon of gas to Jr's private school all the while listening to Al Franken tell the world that anything that he doesn't agree with must be killing the world.

That also reminds me of some hippie group that was trying to save an endangered rock or something in (surprise!) California a few years ago. Here they are trying to save the world and they use a helicopter to do the survey. It is the single worst machine on earth, as far as fuel consumption and releasing noxious gasses, that you can find. What a bunch of jackasses.

----------------------


I hate people who take one point of view without ever considering the other(s). People who are afraid to voice their own opinion about anything. They take one side, and that's it. You know, like republicans. (That was for you Momma-cod and Wheel Gun Bob...don't get used to it)

I have several views that straddle both political lines and I don't push them on anyone unless asked. Except for here and now. You know why? Because it's my blog and if you don't like it, DON'T READ IT!! (you know who you are) So, skip this part if you don't want to read it.

I hunt and fish and I'm damn proud of it. If you don't like it, I don't care. I didn't ask for your opinion so keep it to yourself.

I'm pro gun but not fanatically so. I don't think that everyday people need a M16 for anything (although I would LOVE to have one).

I'm pro-choice as well. For anyone to think that they can tell a woman what they can and cannot do with their bodies is just plain dumb. Shut up before I bitch-slap you.

I loved the tax check that ole Dubya sent my way a few years ago but I thought that it was the wrong thing to do.

I haven't ever done any illegal drugs but I think that they should be legalized.... and heavily taxed.

I hate seagulls and I know that they do a useful job. But I don't care. I wish they had a season on the annoying bastards. I would kill every one that I could.

I hunt for ducks but I will be the first one to feed and/or save one if in need. Hell, I actually wanted to chase a guy down last year that ran one over intentionally while she was walking her brood of 6 ducklings across the street. The wife stopped me. I don't think that I have ever wanted to pound on someone so bad in my life. Man, I'm getting pissed just thinking about it.

I'd better go.

If you don't agree with me about anything and would like to have an intelligent debate about it, feel free to email me. Don't be scared.


2 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I've heard that 98% of crimes take place within 50 feet of bread or within 48 hours of bread being consumed. In case those Maine headline writers need something else to report.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger The Cod God said...

Yeah, because reporters in Canada have so much to report on. Things like "Clause caught 8 lake trout today" and
"Pierre ate 3 elk this week".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory & Search engine